Sunday 26 April 2009

Viking #1

I have a masters in Medieval History from the university of Antarctica, and have a particular passion for the Viking Age..... so it's fair to say that I was eagerly awaiting this series.

The cover certainly beats most issues on the shelves this week, and I'm very pleased to say that the artwork inside is, if you can excuse the pun, top drawer. It's wider than standard modern age comics and each two page spread is a glorious feast for the eyes (it's also refreshingly free of adverts).

As for the content... it left me wanting more, but not necessarily in a good way. There's not much here, the briefest introduction of what I assume will be the main characters. The two protagonists on the front cover are Egil and Finn and they would appear to trying to set themselves up and the new bad-boys in town, but this issue is very light on story.

I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and pick up the second issue, but it'll have a lot of work to do to make me interested enough in these characters to keep reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment